Monday, February 9, 2009

Trillions of reasons to be scared

I am scared out of my mind.

I am not exaggerating.

My fiance and I are expecting a baby in the next 2 months. And I am excited. I am so pumped about this little life. I pray every day for his health and happiness.

But this plan that's up for vote today has me cringing.

Trillions of dollars to try and help stimulate our economy. Trillions of dollars, created by people charged with spending by a president trying to use scare tactics to pass the bill. No president has ever made a comment such as that - stating that our country will fail if this isn't passed.

And the other highlights: language preventing the use of funds on buildings at colleges and schools where religous activities take place. Why? So the Muslim student union holds a meeting in the student union and you can't use the funds there? Or in the gym if the christian student athletes hold a meeting?

How about 4.1 million for ACORN? An organization that supports free immagration for all as well as increasing the ease with which illegal immagrants can bring their families to the country (http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=16966). An organization that supports the forced paid sick day for American worker (http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=16998&L=1%2F%2Findex.php%3Fid%3D). I have nine employees. I give them paid sick days. But what if my business starts to fail? What if I have to eliminate those days to keep employing those people? This mimics the tax increases that have been discussed. If you force me to offer health care, paid sick leave and increase the payroll taxes, I will not be able to keep all my employees. And finally, their stance on foreclosure. Now I understand that banks and credit cards may have done things that hit below the belt. But foreclosure is not the banks fault. First, the government should not have reduced the standards for mortgages - this allowed a lot of undeserving people to "qualify" for loans they could not afford. Second, the responsibility of making the payment and knowing what you can afford falls solely on the borrower. I feel for all that have lost their homes but I do not think it should be everyone elses responsibility to fix this.

Why do they even think they can fix this? Why not let the economy straighten itself out? Yes, we'll fall on some hard times. But FDR's attempts to fix things led to a 8 or 9 year depression.

I am so scared. My country could care less what I want. It could care less what most of the people I know want. And they definitley haven't learned from history.

I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment